Monday, June 4, 2007

LARP at The Block

Well, that was interesting. The closest I've ever come to public LARPing was the GenCon SoCal game. And that wasn't very public. I have to admit I wasn't sure it was going to go well. Too many civilians, too many distractions, too open an area.

But it all came out pretty well. Yeah, people wandered off for food, beer, Starbucks. But I gotta be honest, some of the best persistent roleplaying went on that night that I've seen in a while. It was great how many people kept themselves in-character for so much of the night when it would have been so bloody easy to slip out of character so many times. Maybe some people weren't roleplaying their best, maybe, but they kept going at it, staying in-character for the vast majority of the night. Too often, I've seen people just start hanging out when the game goes away from them, when their interest flags, when they simply get distracted. But wow, so many people got into character and stayed that way.

It was also interesting to notice that we weren't even the strangest people at The Block. Okay, maybe we were, but we weren't the strangest looking ones. I was slightly worried that "Johnny Chang" would stand out, faux-hawk and all, but nope, he looked almost normal down there (which was exactly what I would have hoped for!). Even Taylor, gothed up as he was, didn't stand out any more than a tall, black goth ever stands out. By the way, I've only met him a few times but he seems like a cool dude. Strangely, the oddest looking one out of us all was probably Shawna and that was because of her white lab coat.

But good game. Christian, you missed out!

No comments: