Saturday, June 9, 2007

I'm getting too old for this sh!t

I really am. And what's worse, is that I can see it happening.

Okay, so I've not been sleeping well the past few weeks. Got something big on my mind that I'll be telling people about in person before I say anything here. I've also been stressing about getting the school year finished. Grading, filing reports, making final deposits, end of the year meetings, all that. Well, Thursday night is our graduation and it's also our Grad Night at Disneyland. Amanda loves the Maus Haus and if you chaperone, you get to go for free. The lines really aren't that bad, except for Splash Mountain and Space Mountain and they feed you, give you massages, show you movies and do free character sketches. As an aside, I had Eeyore drawn and Amanda had the Ariel, the Little Mermaid. Turns out the illustrator drew the Little Mermaid for 24 books, the paper dolls, and other stuff. So a veritable Disney expert drew Amanda's favorite character. How cool is that?

Anyway, this is the third time we've done Grad Night. Three years ago, we were running around until they were nearly kicking us out, at like 5:45 in the AM. Two years ago, we gave up at about 5. This year? I think we were toast about 3:30. We went on It's A Small World at about 4:15 and were nearly lulled to sleep in the boat, even with that song repeating ad nauseum. We had to just keep moving in order to not just collapse from fatigue.

We were back on the bus by 5:20 and had all the kids on board just before 6 am. We were back at school I think by 6:45, were Amanda and I went up the street to my parent's house to sleep. Unfortunately, I still had end of year meetings to attend, so I got about an hour of sleep before I had to go back to school. I didn't finish until noon and we didn't make it home until about 1pm. Let's make it tougher; we had to go to see Amanda's niece and nephew perform in their final band concert of the year, down at Biola, by 7:30...so up at 5:30 we were. Now, Amanda had about 9 hours of sleep. I had about 5.

In fact, as I write this (and I feel like like I'm babbling), Amanda has gone back to bed on a Saturday afternoon. Neither of us will be back to normal until Sunday/Monday.

I'm thinking that this will be the last Grad Night for us for a while.

No comments: