Thursday, August 30, 2007

The heat is...


Oppressive. It really is. When it's climbing up to record temps of around 107 degrees, it's quite simply just not worth going outside unless you are going from one air-conditioned place to another. I can handle the 90's pretty easily. I attended the University of Arizona for five years, and while not there normally in the summers, it got damn hot. November and still in the 90s during the afternoon? Normal. When it got above about 102 or so, people just didn't go outside. I'm serious when I say that you could walk down the middle of the main streets back then when the temps got up to 107, 109, 113 and not need to worry about being hit by a car. Even if the car was air-conditioned, people just didn't go out. It was a part of how we adapted.

So 90's, yeah, it's warm and maybe even hot. I'll even take about 100, 101 or so. When it climbs to about 105 or above, forget it. Put the AC on full-chill, hand me an ice-cold beer, and let me sit in front of the fan.

No comments: