Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Comic Con 07 Report


So Comic Con has been over for over a week now. Of course, we went to Rosarito, Mexico for five days afterwards and man, was it necessary. Sleeping in 'til 10am, hanging out on the beach, eating fish tacos, man, that was the life.

Anyway, Comic Con (the real info is in plenty of places better than this and you've already read it). We got in Thursday without a huge problem aside from the inane traffic getting into San Diego itself. We walked the floor for a bit, picked up a few freebies including two of the much-wanted Paramount t-shirts (one for Beowulf, one for Indiana Jones; they also had Star Trek and were chronically out of Ironman). Friday was pretty much Hall H. Some good stuff. The Star Wars panel was nearly a bust, but they did show just a bit for Indiana Jones 4. I did escape and get up to the Neil Gaiman spotlight panel and while he was cool and all, I attempted to ask him a question. But right when I got up to the mic, they ended the panel and I was left standing there.

Saturday was exclusively Hall H. Wall-E sounds really great, a near-silent movie aimed more at grown-ups, which is a slight shift from Pixar. The Ironman footage from the Marvel panel was really frikkin' cool and it looks like it'll be a great movie.

Sunday we walked the floor for a few hours, but it was frikkin' crowded. Apparently Friday, Saturday and Sunday were completely sold out.

What else? Um...the Blade Runner stuff for the DVD was awesome...Zach Snyder talked about Watchmen and unveiled a teaser poster.

Speaking of which, I managed to get a Watchmen poster (and apparently I wasn't supposed to, but I talked my way into it without really meaning to) and the exclusive Indy Jones 4 poster and the exclusive Hellboy 2 poster. Plus other stuff.

In general, Comic Con was fun, but I'm not sure about it's future direction. The free stuff wasn't as cool or as frequent and aside from the Narnia stuff (don't care) and the Ironman footage (and maybe Wall-E) there wasn't as much sneak preview type stuff as in the past. And I don't know if I can go next year, with a baby on the way and all...

No comments: