Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Relearning to be a husband

One of the things I didn't really expect after Amanda gave birth to Lorelei was the fact I would have to learn how to be a husband all over again. Okay, not totally, but enough that I feel like it's true.

I have to make sure I continue to give Amanda enough attention, and the right kind of attention, while not neglecting Lorelei either. I can't just treat her like a mother, she's also my wife and best friend too.

Kissing for example. There's a big difference between how you kiss your mother, your daughter and your wife. It's all too easy to ignore one or more of those things. To start kissing your wife like she's your mom/daughter. As in, on the forehead, on the cheek, but never on the lips. You know what I mean? And you can't just treat your wife like that, as a wife, because she's now a mother too.

It's kinda hard. I didn't really expect it, though I suppose I should have. We're working on it all though!

No comments: