Friday, October 26, 2007

Philosophy of the supernatural

Tonight, in about an hour in fact, we leave to go for a Ghost Walk at the Calico Ghost Town. So I've been thinking about what are ghosts and do I really believe in them?

I love Ghost Hunters and various paranormal documentaries are fascinating to watch. But what exactly are they finding when they come across evidence that appears to indicate ghosts?

I've decided that what we call ghosts, spirits, demon, etc., are essentially an ignorant shorthand for something that we have no current way of explaining. Five hundred years ago, it was believed we were ruled by four humours and when they were out of wack, everything from moods to disease and death could be caused. Turns out to not be that far off the truth; when hormones are out of wack, it can create all sorts of issues. Core idea was right, it just needed more scientific evidence and explanation.

Same thing for ghosts I think. I'm not sold of them being the spirits of those that are still hanging around. It's possible, I suppose, for a being to potentially leave behind some kind of energy that might equate as a ghost. Hell, maybe it's a life form in a parallel dimension or some damn thing. I don't know.

I guess I'm an agnostic skeptic that wants to believe.

No comments: