Monday, July 2, 2007

Woohoo!




First, Ratatouille. Very cute movie. Not as laugh out loud funny as perhaps past Pixar projects have been, but a quality film.

Second, I took first! Games Workshop has had painting competitions the last three months in honor of the 30th Anniversary of the White Dwarf magazine. The first month was for 40K and I entered a converted chaplain into the single category and came in second behind a potential Demon Winner. Second month was Lord of the Rings and I didn't enter. This past month was Warhammer Fantasy. Now, I don't really play WFB, but I do have a number of miniatures. So I finished off the Games Day Black Orc and last Monday, began a Brettonian Pegasus Knight.

I dropped them off on Saturday about 1:30 with the promise from the new redshirt that I'll get a call if either of them place. No call. So I wake up Sunday morning thinking I must have gotten edged out by some other models or the subtlety of the work (especially the Orc's armor) must have not been noticed in favor of something more eye-catching.

So on the way to my parent's house for my niece's second birthday we stop by and I ask the redshirt for my "guys." He asks me if that's all I want. I'm confused, thinking maybe he's trying to upsell me something. I say no, just my models. He asks if I'm sure and I just look confused by this point. He's now rustling through the desk and I gather that I've placed in at least one category.

Nope, turns out the Pegasus Knight, started last Monday (and no work on Tuesday) took third place in the Large Model category and the Black Orc took first in the Single Model category.

So woohoo! I've now taken a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. Is a Demon in my future? Probably not, let's be honest. But now I have proof that I can paint and paint well.

Pictures hopefully later today.

No comments: