Wednesday, September 23, 2009

14 staples

I now have 14 staples, holding closed an over 3-inch long incision just below my belly button. Which no longer protrudes like it once did.

I feel like I had a mini C-section. It hurts like hell, the pain medication given to me doesn't work very well and it's absolute murder getting out of bed. You have no idea how much your abdominal core is utilized in everyday activities, even something like walking. Crap.

I was hoping to attend Back To School night, but I just don't think I can do it. It's tomorrow evening, so I might feel better, but I'm doubting I'll be up for it.

The worst part, aside from the sheer pain and difficulty of moving, is that I can't do, or can only barely do, some of the basics. I was afraid I couldn't put pants on today and was quite proud of myself when I did manage it. I know it's a process and no one just bounces back to total normalcy after any kind of surgical procedure, but damn.

I know men are all kinds of tough, but I now concur that if men had to give birth, humanity would be in trouble.

1 comment:

Doc said...

Any day is a victory when I DON'T have to put on pants!

14 staples? What is it with you and staples? I still remember the ill-fated trip to Nogales and the return, with Andrea repeating over and over, 'You have a staple... in your head!'